Thursday, May 26, 2005

Weird

So we have this guy at work who in his e-mails identifies himself as FIRST NAME "the lemming" MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME. When asked why he does this, his reply is "to be silly." Instead of calling us by our names he calls us all ma'am. The guy is like 40 years old, not married, lives in the boonies with his 4 poodles. The guy comes to work every day in camouflage pants and sneakers. Very professional. Anyhow, everyday the guy comes up behind me and like 20 other people and goes Psst Psst until we turn and look at him. Then he holds out his shaking hand with every kind of Extra gum for us to take a piece. At first, he would just leave it on our desk, but now he stands there clenching it waiting for us to take a piece. One day he had the packs of gum in a Tupperware container and a paper plate with several stray pieces and a sign that said "Special today, Mystery Flavor, take two". A few days ago, he sent an e-mail out to the 20 of us and said "it's taffy time, stop by my desk for a piece". Now, every time I walk by his desk, he holds out the bag and says "taffy?" I politely said “no, I don't care for taffy.” Then yesterday, he stood in the cube in front of mine, reached over the wall, knocked all of my pictures down and threw four pieces of taffy on my desk. While I was on vacation, one of my reps said he brought in a pan of fried chicken and walked around with it trying to give it away. Another one of the reps said that she will not take the gum from him ever. She always says no, but he still comes to her desk everyday. She is getting married this weekend and today was her last day. When she came in, she had a pack of gum with a post it that said "Happy Wedding."

What does all this mean? Is he just a lonely guy looking to buy friends with gum? Is something wrong with him? He doesn’t even care that we call him Gumby. I feel bad making this post. I mean I like him, but he is a bit creepy, plus I need to share this story. Chris is afraid that I will go to work tomorrow and instead of giving me gum, he will shoot me or something, but I have decided to take my chances.

5 comments:

Le laquet said...

Sounds a little bizarre - but I suppose he's not harming anyone .... yet!

Thao said...

Odd behavior, very odd. Is he really nice? Or is he just making his, "To Shoot" or "Not to Shoot" list. There are those that are just odd kooky, but then there are others that are just off their rocker. Smile and gracefully decline his offerings. I'm sure he's just being friendly...

Jack Burden said...

The guy obviously has some issues. Most of what you described I would write off as just eccentricities, but knocking pictures of your cube wall... that's a little aggressive. Has anyone gone to HR about this?

freaker126 said...

My country ban gums. I'll be more then happy to accept his gum gift. Maybe, I can sell it on the black market here. Ehehe..

Jen said...

Be careful; it is always the ones in the camoflage pants that come in one day and shoot up the place!