Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Glossophobia

I read that more people are afraid of speaking in public than they are of dieing. I sadly am one of those people. 75% of people are afraid of speaking in public. Jerry Seinfeld said that at a funeral, most people would rather in be in the casket than giving the eulogy.

I hate speaking in public. For some reason it is harder when I know people than when I don't. I had to go over crap with half of the reps today and it sucked. I seriously get the shakes when I have to do it in front of the entire department. There are 140 people, it is awful. I usually get sick to my stomach the night before, then when it is actually happening within the first 5 minutes of talking, I start shaking uncontrollably. I was like this in high school, then I got better when I first got this job but now it is getting bad all over again. When it is just a small group 15-30 people, I am usually ok, but any more than that and Ohh no.

I heard drinking OJ helps, which I did today and I actually made it through without shaking, but it never worked in the past.

Of course there is the "picture everybody in their underwear", but that just does not work period.

I also practice my speeches in front of the mirror, to the dog, when I am laying in bed, when I am in the shower, driving to work, I definitely know what I have to say, but that also doesn't help.

Any other suggestions??? Believe me, I need them all! At this website, for just $1497.00 I can be cured guaranteed for life but that price is a little steep... Maybe $14.97, but geez...