Friday, September 23, 2005

Memories

When I was little, my uncle Jim used to play this song for me called "Old Shep". I loved it. There were some other ones too, but that is the one I remember the most vividly. I decided to make him a CD with some of these songs. When burning the cd, it got to 100% done, then I got an error message. This is a pretty common occurence, so took the CD and played it in the car to make sure it worked. When the song "Old Shep" came on, I explained it was a childhood favorite and how sometimes it used made me cry. By the end of the song, I was sobbing so hard, I had to pull off to the side of the rode to compose myself. Of course Chris was laughing so hard that he could not comfort me which made me laugh and cry even harder. What a HORRIBLE song. It is the song version of Old Yeller, so it is much quicker and you would think less painful. HA!

When I was a lad
And old shep was a pup
Over hills and meadows we’d stray
Just a boy and his dog
We were both full of fun
We grew up together that way

I remember the time at the old swimmin’ hold
When I would have drowned beyond doubt
But old shep was right there
To the rescue he came
He jumped in and then pulled me out

As the years fast did roll
Old shep he grew old
His eyes were fast growing dim
And one day the doctor looked at me and said
I can do no more for him jim

With hands that were trembling
I picked up my gun
And aimed it at shep’s faithful head
I just couldn’t do it
I wanted to run
I wish they would shoot me instead

He came to my side
And looked up at me
And laid his old head on my knee
I had struck the best friend that a man ever had
I cried so I scarcely could see

Old shep he has gone
Where the good doggies go
And no more with old shep will I roam
But if dogs have a heaven
There’s one thing I know
Old shep has a wonderful home

Truly traumatizing, I cannot believe I could stand it as a kid. I also watched Charlotte's web last night, once again, tears were flowing. I think I am having some kind of emotional issues right now. I am sure when I listen to the song or watch Charlotte next week I will be fine....

1 comments:

Leslie Welch said...

That reminds me of reading "Where the Red Fern Grows". So traumatic. I am super emotional too. I am constantly crying over things like this. Hormones...